Monday, October 28, 2013

Ursula from the Little Mermaid Costume


If there is one thing I love about Halloween its putting together my costume. That is the best part in the upcoming months before. If you follow me on instagram you saw this go from a pile of fabric to this. When I first decided I wanted to be Ursula I did check the halloween websites to get ideas, and the costumes were SO expensive and for barely any costume and lets face it, for a "bigger" girl its harder to find costumes.

 Over the years I have made a lot of my costumes, from Lydia Deetz, Hit girl, Mia Wallace, Jem and The Joker. I knew I could make Ursula and make it amazing.

I decided making a Tutu with the tentacles   on top would look the best, The tut was tutu was the easiest to make and I just sewed the tentacles and stuffed them LIGHTLY with some filling, I didn't want them to be huge and if I walked around would bump into everything, or be heavy. The tutu and tentacles are separated, which prevented the top part from being lost in all the tutu-ness. My top was from Dots and the fabric matches the tutu.


Now when I posted my makeup test run online I got a lot of crap for not "painting myself" like her. Now I know Ursula is purple, I know I am not, for one I have a few peoples makeup to do the same night I am dressing up, so I did my face first before leaving for the day (this lasted me all night! even the brows) And I know I would end up rubbing off the paint or sweat it off, so i decided to do this. I figured the purple blush and the wig with the purple highlights and the color in the tutu would mimic her skin tone and would make up for it. I make my brows more....dramatic (lets face it she has some mean brows) and did a eye look with almost the same colors she is wearing but I put some purple shimmer in the center of the lid, to make sort of a blurpurple/grey smokey eye that was really dramatic. 

I loved the way this came out, tho it doesn't look like every Ursula look, It gets the point across and I loved working on it all, my favorite part is the necklace, to me its PERFECT. A little shell I found in the craft store, painted to match and glued to a ribbon really completes the costume!

I hope you all enjoyed my costume because I sure enjoyed making it. There is going to be a full halloween post coming soon, along with the group little mermaid costume pictures and other makeup I did that night!

Here is the OTTD video I filmed, Hope you guys have an awesome halloween! thanks for reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment