Sunday, September 20, 2015

Guest Blogger Stephanie || Hartford Comic Con, And my first Cosplay Experience


I’m lucky that my job allows me to attend signings, events & conventions from time to time — however, I have never attended a comic con specific convention before. Last year for Halloween, my roommate, Daysi, and I decided to dress up as Tina & Louise from Bob’s Burgers. We started the search a few months early and were able to find a lot of the pieces for the costumes online.

At the time, we had only planned for this to be a quick Halloween costume for work. We had no intentions of actually cosplaying Tina & Louise. Not surprisingly, we found just about all the items we needed on Amazon. Daysi’s outfit was simple — lime green dress & pink bunny ear hat. For my Tina, I searched really simple terms like “Teal blue shirt” and “navy blue skort.” The socks proved to be harder to find. Why is it I remember seeing red striped knee socks everywhere until NOW that I actually needed them? I ended up buying a pair from a random Chinese shop on Amazon. I picked up the wig as a last ditch effort at a Spirit Halloween store, as opposed to cutting my hair. I have naturally chunky black framed glasses…. but they just weren’t PERFECT. It wasn’t until another friend sent me the perfect link to this huge chunky cartoon-y pair of black framed glasses that just SCREAMED “Tina!!!” With that, my costume was complete.

We worked together that day, as no Tina could be complete without her Louise… and surprisingly, our basic costumes were a hit. People were coming into our store specifically to take pictures with us. Another friend in another store was dressed as Bob and he’d come over and take group pictures with us. I went to Starbucks and the baristas gave me my drink for free purely because “Tina was their spirit animal”. We had planned to do Tina & Louise again for the next Halloween.




Then came Hartford Comic Con. Our store had a booth at the convention and while the rest of our team wore their regular street clothes… Daysi & I decided to bust out the Tina & Louise getups. We had never been to a convention like this before and were pretty overwhelmed with the amazing response. I don’t think I have ever had so many strangers ask to take my photo/take photos with me. As I learned over the past weekend in Con world, people wanting your picture is a cosplay success. Did I ever intend Tina & Louise to be an actual cosplay? No. Do I love it?? Yes. We’re addicted. We want to do more! We’ve added a Fart Gun to the overall display (One of the Despicable Me Minion fart guns. Perfect for Belcher children) and are working on convincing others to be more Belcher family members with us. I’ve convinced my mother to attend Rhode Island Comic Con with us under the guise of her meeting Hershel from the Walking Dead… under the condition she wears red framed glasses & a red sweater. She has no idea what she’s in for.

It was amazing to see a bunch of the same cosplayers all weekend in the same costumes that people recognize, and switching into new costumes as well. I am totally enchanted by the whole cosplay world and am now working on new costume ideas for future events!







Follow Stephanie:
Twitter - @omgstephanie
Instagram - @makeyourselfsic

No comments:

Post a Comment