Friday, May 8, 2015

DIY Galaxy Hair Tutorial


Holy galaxy hair batman! About a month ago I switched up my very purple hair and added a few different tones to it, which can only be described as galaxy madness! I didn't film a tutorial (i will next time), but I took pictures of the progress a long the way. I did not bleach my hair for this, in fact I did this between doing my roots (i do every 2-3 months) as a way to change up my hair. This is how I did it.



To start off with my hair was a sold purple (above, but a little lighter and faded) I didn't want to bleach the so I could add the pinks and blues, so instead I used color remover,  Now be-careful when you buy these, read the boxes because some clearly state they ONLY remove permanent dye. Colors like manic panic, pravana and special effects will not be removed fully.  I used this one below:

I got mine on amazon, you can also pick it up at Sallys. Now this is gental on the hair, so it doesn't damage it, but instead removes the color from your hair, so you are left with some what of a clean slate to start your new color on. Now I wanted deep purple roots, so I only did this on the ends of my hair. It removed most of the purple, leaving me with a light pinkish blode. It looks orange in the picture, but thats my bathroom lighting (this is why i dont film in my bathroom folks!) 


Now this was fine for what I was going for, if you need it to be fully gone, most color removers tell you to do it twice, but since I was putting a bright pink over it, this worked for me.


Next was my favorite part, mixing the dyes. I love mixing custom colors, I like feeling in control. Now so MOST of these would fade nicely together and not clash I made sure to mix pravana silver into all of them, so each dye would have a silvery hue to it and would fade so a nice silver tone. That is my secret weapon to having hair fade out nicely.  But each dye are as followed:

Roots - Pravana Violet, silver, and white conditioner
Fading into -
Pravana magenta with silver (mixed with white conditioner )
Pravana blue with silver
 In-Rage Teal with pravana silver (white conditioner)

My bangs: (because I wanted them a little lighter to contrast)
Pravana silver with a tiny bit of magenta
Pravana silver with a tiny bit of pravana blue  

You can mix them how ever you like to be the colors you like, I just mixed until I got what I wanted, and did as much as I knew how much hair I would cover with that color. (my bangs i only needed a little).

To prevent the colors from blending into each other I just parted my hair into 5 sections and worked on each section at a time, the back was more purple, the sides had mixes of pinks and blues, and the bangs were lighter, but all of them all a silver hue so that when it started to fade i would get a nice pastel color melt, rather than  the pink being more orange and the teal turning an ugly green on me. I washed it all out in the shower section by section and this is the result I got - 







Everything blendded together nicely. I waited to post this so I could show you guys how it all faded, well started to fade. Its been almost 4 weeks and this is how it looks now -

I love how its fading, I feel like a pastel space princess! 

I hope this helped you guys with all the questions about how I did this. Next time when I re-do my roots I will try to film how I do it step by step. 

Thanks for reading! Remember to follow my blog!







No comments:

Post a Comment